There is a story about a man who observed a boy throwing starfish that had washed up with the tide back into the ocean. The man asked the boy what he was doing. The boy responded, "I am throwing the starfish back into the ocean so that they do not dry up and die." The man cried, "You cannot possibly throw all these starfish back into the ocean. There are thousands." The boy looked at the starfish in his hand as he threw it gently back into the water. "It mattered to that one."

I am uplifted daily by good and kind moments, received and given. This blog is the story of the starfish that I have had the pleasure to witness being thrown back into the ocean.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Rent-A-Dog

I like to mountain bike and run on local trails, which means, I sometimes run into dogs that are off leash, with no owners to be found.

I like dogs but I don't like running into one when I don't know if the dog is friendly or dangerous. Of course, most of the dogs I run into are friendly, but I met a few that were downright scary. I wish dogs on the lam would carry little signs.

"Yes, I'm friendly.

"No, I won't bite."

"I'll count to five before I start chasing you. On my bark - 1-2 ..."


A few weeks ago, I spotted a stray dog while running with my good friend and running partner, and joked that it would be nice to have a good rent-a-dog to take with me on runs; something trustworthy that would protect me, because I know I don't have the time or inclination to be a worthy "real" dog owner.

The dog, who I later learned was named "Rusty," heard me, and signed up for the duty. We ran two more miles after I made that comment, down a dirt path that is soon going to become a paved road. There were many opportunities to turn down other streets that the dirt path crossed, but the dog stayed with us the entire way. We occasionally passed other runners, walkers, and bikers, which Rusty would investigate, but he always returned to us.



We were worried that other runners would resent us for having a dog off leash, or that we were helping the dog become further lost, so my friend, a dog owner, would occasionally say, "Go home!" My free rent-a-dog was loyal though, and stayed by my side.

At the end of our run, she checked the number on the tag, read it aloud, and I dialed the number. Less than ten minutes later, the owner of rent-a-dog had picked him up.

I would love to do that again. I count that as my starfish for the day. The dog did something nice for us (my running partner noted that I picked up my pace to keep up with it better - it would run ahead and then wait for us). Then, we did something nice for owner of the dog (because he was happy to get Rusty back). The daughter who left the gate open that let the dog out was probably relieved, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment