There is a story about a man who observed a boy throwing starfish that had washed up with the tide back into the ocean. The man asked the boy what he was doing. The boy responded, "I am throwing the starfish back into the ocean so that they do not dry up and die." The man cried, "You cannot possibly throw all these starfish back into the ocean. There are thousands." The boy looked at the starfish in his hand as he threw it gently back into the water. "It mattered to that one."

I am uplifted daily by good and kind moments, received and given. This blog is the story of the starfish that I have had the pleasure to witness being thrown back into the ocean.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A Man with a Cart

I am uplifted daily by the kindness I see around me, whether it is personally experienced, shared second-hand through stories by friends and acquaintances, or something that I read in the news.

The following experience happened over a year ago, but since this blog didn't exist over a year ago, I think it deserves a special mention to kick off a blog about the lovely and simple things that people do to uplift each other.




There used to be a grocery store down the road from my home. This was not the usual grocery store that I frequented, so I was unfamiliar with the layout and products in that store. I ran in, expecting to make a quick, small purchase (looking for the perfect batch of Golden Delicious apples, to be exact). However, while I was in the store, I found a couple of other items that I wanted to purchase. At that point, I regretted not bringing in my own shopping bag, but by then, I was on the opposite end of the store from the grocery carts and baskets.

Shortly after having this thought, a gentleman passed by with the newer style of half-sized grocery carts, which I had never seen in a local store. I glanced at the cart, and stopped for a moment, dazzled by the great little cart, and debating the pros and cons of taking the time to grab a cart vs. juggling the extra items in my arms.

At that point, this man noticed me, and with a smile, offered his cart to me.

I was surprised by the offer, as I was not giving emitting "give me your cart" vibes, nor did I look particularly distressed. I refused, but gratefully, and told him that it was my own fault that I did not have a cart, and that I would be fine.

This kind man immediately insisted, while pulling the items out of the cart.

"You look like you need it more than me," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment